Friday, May 22, 2015

Alternate Waldrops

.



Why did nobody tell me about this?  For two dozen years and two it's been sitting there and yet I had no idea there was such a thing as Eileen Gunn's Alternate Waldrops. Howard Waldrops, that is.

Why isn't there an Alternate Howard Waldrops Day?  Why isn't it a national holiday?  And what's wrong with the rest of the world?  It's practically a national holiday here.  So -- what? -- France is too good for Howard Waldrop?  Is that even possible?

You can read the piece here.

For yet another Alternate Waldrop, you can read my and Gregory Frost's absolutely brilliant "Lock Up Your Chickens and Daughters -- H'ard and Andy Are Come to Town!" It appeared in Asimov's recently, and one of us is sure to include it in a collection someday.  But in the meantime, you can read the story here.


Above: I swiped this great photo of Howard and Eileen from Lawrence Person's website. If you can't steal things from a friend who can you steal them from?

*

1 comment:

Kevin Cheek said...

I can't help thinking that Howard Waldrop's one of the most important writers in American Literature. It's just that Literature doesn't know it yet. I keep saying that R. A. Lafferty, Howard Waldrop, and Richard Brautigan form a unique American voice. To be honest, I have to throw Kurt Vonnegut and Mark Twain into the list as well.