Friday, September 7, 2007

The Inimitable Jason Van Hollander





If, as I presume you do, you value knowing interesting and talented people, then surely you must envy me for knowing the inimitable Jason Van Hollander. He has a compulsively self-deprecating demeanor and an extremely wry wit. I visited him at work once, and he introduced me as "the editor of Casket and Sunnyside Magazine." We went to a grocery store together and he told the man handing out samples of chips-and-salsa that I was "a connoisseur of salts." He's a highly respected book designer and as an artist has received two World Fantasy Awards.

And, because he doesn't travel, you've almost certainly never met the man.

Fortunately for me, I live within a reasonable drive of his house, so every now and then I get to drop in on him. Here's what he made for me after one such visit:






Pretty cool, huh?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That catalog page is moving, tragic, and hilarious. An emotional powerhouse, for sure.